The modern buying journey is complex – especially in the health and beauty industry.
Customers looking to buy cosmetic products, especially luxury items, will review a website more than once before checking out.
From desktop to laptop; browser to app and even in-store to online – tracking the impact of your marketing efforts on sales can be a nightmare.
How can you understand what you need to be doing more of and where to cut budget?
It’s time to give your marketing measurement a makeover.
De-dupe your customer journeys
A product that works well for one customer, won’t always work for the other.
And the same goes for your marketing activities.
No two conversion paths look alike but off-the-shelf attribution tools that use rules-based models apply credit to interactions before they happen.
Uncovering the AdTech reporting issue
According to our own research 80% of marketers are concerned about the impact of bias in their AdTech reporting.
And with almost 50% of spend typically residing in the Facebook and Google advertising buckets, they have good reason too.
So, what are the issues with AdTech reporting and why is there so much concern?
At the most simplistic level, marketers are increasingly seeing big disparities in the attributable revenue reported by the respective platforms.
It means that, while Facebook might be taking conversion and revenue credit, Google is telling you something completely different.
At the heart of the issue, are flaws in the cookie-based data that both Google and Facebook rely on to track customer journeys. Which is highly inaccurate due to the poor job cookies do of identifying and connecting them.
But there are also fundamental issues with different metrics being applied.
Facebook count ad views for conversions while Google is fully crediting Last Click activity like retargeting on the same journey.
Take the scenario below:
- A user is on Facebook and sees a promo advert for your brand
- After clicking through to your site they decide not to buy immediately
- 6 days later they see an ad on YouTube for your brand
- Which prompts an organic google search for one of your health and beauty products
- They then see a PPC ad for the product and click to buy
Looking at AdTech reporting, Google credits the PPC ad with the sale while Facebook attributes the initial Facebook ad.
And clearly neither is correct with the true story hidden amongst the other touchpoints in-between!
Corvidae: An attribution solution that gives your marketing a makeover
The only way to avoid the issues with AdTech reporting we highlighted above is to take them out of the picture completely – which is exactly what Corvidae, our patented cookieless attribution platform, does.
Corvidae is able to deliver an average +95% predictive accuracy by using AI and Machine Learning to enable health and beauty brands to:
- Gain a true view of marketing performance – right across the entire customer journey by gaining a true cross-device, cross-channel view.
- Remove the impact of AdTech data silos – sidestep the issues associated with biased and flawed analytics and reporting from the big channel providers.
- Be better informed about performance – and make better informed budget decisions that optimise spend and drive ROAS.
Helping Vitality optimise their spend and boost ROI
This is the approach we took with Vitality.
They were keen to use the full extent of their data from right across the customer journey – which included both on and offline data – to improve the performance of their automated customer acquisition activity.
We used Corvidae to rebuild their data right across the customer journey, enabling them to predict propensity to convert and increase ROI – by reducing waste through better retargeting and significant improvements in CPA in their marketing activity.
This had a number of benefits for Vitality, including:
- Delivering 4x more conversions at ½ the CPA of Vitality’s existing Google model
- Prospecting for incremental revenue via programmatic display delivered a 3.8:1 ROI
- Providing an overall ROI of 40:1 for its deployment of Corvidae
Looking to boost your marketing attribution?
When it comes to finding effective attribution, you need a truly transformational approach.
Try attribution the Corvidae way.
Download our eBook below to find out more, or get in touch here.